- Initially known as B2G (Boot to Gecko) in the Mozilla Project and initially demonstrated in 2012
- Has a Linux based operating system
- Target for smart phones, tablets and smart TV.
- Among the first adopter was ZTE Open phone
- Its has 4 software layers. I.e. Gonk (Linux kernel), Gecko (application services), XUL Runner (Application run-time) and Gaia (User interface system)
- Supports HTML5
- Website at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS
- Apps can be found at the Firefox marketplace.
Following are steps to install and run a simulator:
Requirements: Firefox version 30+
Step 1. Install the simulator.Open Mozilla Firefox web browser and access "App Manager add-ons" by typing in the URL
Click "Install Firefox OS 1.3 Simulator (Stable)" or which ever version pleases you.
When the Pop-up appears, Click "Allow" then wait till the download starts (There isn't any indicator onscreen) and when the Software Installation box appears, click "Install Now".
Click "Firefox OS 1.3 Simulator has been installed successfully."
Step 2: Check installationTo determine if its installed, open Mozilla Firefox web browser and enter URL as
You should see "Firefox OS 1.3 Simulator ...."
Step 3: Start up the App ManagerIn Mozilla Firefox web browser enter URL as
At bottom of the App Manager click "Start Simulator"
The Firefox OS Simulator will appear as a new Firefox Window.
Congratulations...you now have access to the latest Smartphone OS.